What is microsuction?
Microsuction is one of the safest methods to clean the ear. The clinician treating you looks at your ear using a microscope, this magnifies the ear, making it easier to assess and treat. A suction device is used to clean the ear, it works in a similar way to a vacuum cleaner and although it can be quite noisy, it is quick and painless. If the object being removed is hard, then removal can be slightly uncomfortable.
The risks of this procedure include damage to the ear canal, infection or bleeding but as, most often, this is noticed during the procedure, the clinician will advise you on how to manage it and what you need to look out for in case of any worsening.
Some people feel a dizzy sensation after the procedure and others some noise in their ear, both will resolve themselves over a short period of time.
Before your appointment
The following needs to be done 2 -3 times daily for a minimum of 7 days prior to your appointment, this will help to soften your earwax in preparation for easier removal.
- Lie on your side with the most affected ear uppermost
- Pull the outer ear gently backwards and upwards to straighten the ear canal
- Put 2-3 drops of olive oil into the affected ear(s) and gently massage just in front of the ear
- Stay laying on your side to allow the wax to soak in for around 10 mins
- Afterwards, wipe away any excess oil but do not plug your ear with cotton wool as this simply absorbs the oil
Your hearing may initially worsen after first starting to use the olive oil drops, this is why we advise you to concentrate on treating one ear at a time if both ears are blocked with wax.
After your appointment
If you experience any of the following, you should seek advice from your GP or Nurse Practitioner:
- Discharge or bleeding from the ear
- Sudden deafness or buzzing
- Foreign bodies in the ear
- Prolonged dizziness
If your ears are regularly become blocked with wax, after clearing the blockage we suggest that you use olive oil drops as described above once per week to keep the wax soft and encourage the natural process of wax expulsion. Do NOT use cotton buds – they may worsen the situation by compounding the wax.